Monday, April 6, 2009

And the Countdown Begins!!!!

For those of you that don't know, my brother Clay has been in Iraq since last summer. He is a first lieutenant and works in transportation (please don't ask me more specifics, because I honestly do not know. The entire Army is confusing!!).

He was commissioned from the TCU ROTC program in May of 2007.

This is Clay and his fiance Heather.


My sweet brothers (seriously...why did I get the short stick?!)


After his commissioning, Clay spent the next year doing all kinds of training at various bases around the country. He ended up at Ft. Hood until his deployment in June of 2008.

Clay was able to come home at Christmas for his 2 week R&R. We taught Addison to salute Clay when he came in....I wish we had gotten a picture of that....it would have made you cry.

So....he has been back in Iraq since January and is scheduled to come home sometime in June!!!!! I cannot wait. It has been a surreal experience to have a brother in a war. I always thought it would be something that I read about in history books, but would never experience. It is so sad that we live in a world where war exist, but I am grateful, beyond words, for the sacrifice that my brother and thousands others have made (and are making). I hope you are too.

Eating dinner at an Iraqi restaurant. Clay said the Iraqi at he next table ordered Goat's Head...and, well, that is what they brought. (Think A Christmas Story)


Each month Clay and his soldiers smoke a cigar to celebrate getting through another month.


He is so proud to be a Horned Frog!

2 comments:

Chris & Whitney said...

Ok, maybe I'm just behind, but I had no idea your brother was in the Army...much less in Iraq.

I just want to tell you (and if you want to pass it on to him) that Chris and I SINCERELY thank him for his service. We have learned over the 7 years of our marriage how much our armed services means to our freedoms...past, present, and future. We try to be very diligent in teaching our girls the same. (I love Addison's salute!)

We will definitely be praying for his safety until he is back home! Thanks for sharing! Love you!

Debbie said...

YAYYYYY! That's such great news that he'll be home soon...only two more months! Awesome! :)